Follow Ed Baca by Email



You can receive updates directly to your email by entering your email address below.

Friday, May 27, 2016


BUDGET TIME – CHOICES TO BE MADE

Each year Utah State Law requires that a tentative budget be submitted by the first City Council meeting in May with the final adoption to be made by June 22nd.

As the May 12th Council Meeting approached the weight of this great responsibility caused me to ponder how best to represent the City’s interest as I reviewed City Manager’s tentative budget. As I struggled to organize my thoughts on how best to recognize and come to a decision on “Priority Choices” I came upon the Ensign-May 2016 General Conference Address. On page 86, I found President Monson’s message entitled CHOICES.

 “THE CHOICES WE MAKE DETERMINE OUR DESTINY”

My friends I decided to act on this message and determined that I would present a brief outline of the budget process for those in attendance at this public meeting including members of the press who are expected to keep the public informed on what is taking place within the walls of City Hall.             I delivered the following statement.

“I can find no better words to lead us into the Budget Process that we are about to enter into than those uttered by one of our prominent citizens.

Our Republic opens the door to a democratic process not only to satisfy state law concerning a Balanced Annual Budget for the city, but more importantly it serves as a time when elected officials make known to the public that fiduciary responsibilities are met.

It is a non-adversarial discussion and review of the proposed budget submitted by the city manager which affords elected officials an opportunity to establish priorities that are a reflection of the public’s desires as they know them to be.

It then becomes the responsibility of the city manager to develop a budget, giving due consideration to input from the Mayor and City Council. A budget that meets expectations that, are in keeping with state law. The city manager is entrusted with the responsibility of executing the approved budget.

It might be said that this is where the rubber meets the road concerning public service. It also informs our dedicated public employees that the means to perform their duties are being provided and that their service is appreciated and respected.”  I believe this budget process to be a highlight of transparency in city government. 

Please note that I mentioned that this budget process was to be a non-adversarial discussion.  My friends, about three quarters of my way into this statement……I was interrupted by Councilwoman Betty Arial…..Who drowned out my remarks by stating “Get on with it, we all agree with it.”  Now, I haven’t yet decided if this was merely a continued display of poor manners or an intentional act to stop my communicating with the public.

Perhaps it’s just a sign of our times.  When you don’t like what someone is saying or how they go about saying it, just, shout them down.  Interrupt them, take over the podium. If this doesn’t work take the microphone away from them. Disinvite them from speaking at a public venue like major university or block the door so the speaker can’t enter. The worst case scenario becomes a riot in the streets to deny freedom of speech.  Where and when do we take a stand?

I do know that this is not the first outburst I have been subjected to at the hands of Councilwoman Arial in which a demeaning or disrespectful tone has been sounded.  I want the public to know that I am trying very hard to apply the admonition given in the referred to article. “May we ever choose the harder right instead of the easier wrong.” I replied to Councilwoman Arial that I appreciated her support and that my message was intended for the public and press who were present.  The meeting continued without further interruptions in a cordial manner.

2016-2017 OUTLOOK: City continues to see growth in population around 2.5% to 3.0% over last year. Current estimate for sales tax revenue for current fiscal year reflects a healthy 7% growth. This budget is based on a conservative growth rate of 3% in sales tax revenues and a 3% increase in property tax estimates for new growth for the next fiscal year. Based on current major projects and forecasts from local and state officials, next year should again see steady growth in all areas.

The recommended general fund budget is $64,917,009. The expenditures are broken down in the following categories: Personnel Services at $41,419,398, Materials and Supplies at $$16,863,643, and Capital Outlay for $6,633,968. The General Fund is comprised of the following departments: General Government, Public Safety, Economic Development, Public Works, and Leisure Services.

My friends it appeared to me that the big issues discussed dealt with changes in the Tentative Budget that had to do with an increase in personnel for the Police Department. Growing concerns for roads: giving special consideration to the new High School that is to be built at the city limits of SG City and Washington City that also includes a section of County Road.  A Water Rates adjustment caused by an increase in rates being implemented by the Washington County Water Conservation District and growing demands to improve infrastructure.  Building the Little Valley Fire Station now appears two years away.

Further discussions are to take place in which “Priority Choices” are to be made. I will endeavor to keep the public informed.                       Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment